Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by my trove of chaos, clutter and commotion. I promise to stick to any subject that interests me at the moment, including but not limited to photography, family life, smile-inducing vintage art, musical pursuits, all sorts of coffee snobbery, kitchen success/disasters, or on a most serious note, whatever spiritual lesson the Holy Spirit is teaching me at the moment. I simply adore comments, so please make me a happy blogger and leave one. Or two. Thanks, Friend!

Kari Watson, Chief Scribbler



Monday, October 18, 2010

First Attempt


They were as delicious as they look.


The key is to pour the cream very. sloowwwwly. so that it rises back to the top.
Thank you, Kaitlin. How do you know so much?


3 comments:

Jen Green said...

These look great. I've been keeping my eyes open for the right barware and Kahlua syrup everywhere I go but haven't had any luck. It's all about presentation right. These look great. Do you have any insight on the espresso and how to chill it best while preserving the flavor and keeping it from getting bitter?

tarakanderson said...

Kari,
I discovered it was MUCH easier to get the sugar to stick to the glass if I used a simple syrup on the sponge, not just water. Next, I don't think it was heavy cream. Just regular whipping cream, because the heavy cream , while tasting great, didn't LOOK quite as good. They were tasty, but I had slightly sweetened the espresso to keep it from getting bitter and I think it diluted the intensity of the coffee, while making it JUST slightly oversweet. The mother of the bride thought they were fabulous, so I could not have been too far off. I can't wait to try it again!

Kari Watson said...

Jen, yes, presentation is everything! The tall and thin glasses were so much more appealing, but I haven't been able to find them anywhere. I'm not sure the BEST way to chill the espresso, although I know if you add some simple syrup right away (within the first 10 seconds!) it helps to keep acidity at bay. Oh, and check Cash and Carry for the syrup - that's where I found it.

Tara, I used heavy whipping cream and it was hard to keep it from mixing in...the key was in how slowly it was poured. Maybe regular whipping cream would be better. I brewed my espresso at double strength for our second round and added a little less kahlua and it was perfectly wonderful! AHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh :)